FirstMap is a comprehensive self-service Enterprise Geographic Information System that consists of an enterprise geodatabase for data storage, an infrastructure to support geospatial and image services, and is tied into the State’s ArcGIS Online portal for full self-service data discovery and mapping. It is designed to support the GIS needs of all state agencies, counties, municipalities, higher education, and the public.
FirstMap was created through collaboration with the entire Delaware GIS community and is hosted and maintained by the State of Delaware Department of Technology and Information (DTI). Key partners were the Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control (DNREC), Delaware Department of Transportation (DelDOT), Delaware Office of State Planning Coordination (OSPC), and Delaware Department of Safety and Homeland Security (DSHS). Other participants include state agencies, academia, counties, local government, private industry and the general public.
FirstMap serves as a centralized repository for commonly used Geospatial data layers. The repository supports inter-agency data sharing, facilitates data collection and updates, and through automated replication simplifies the process to find the most recent authoritative geospatial data for the state.
Entities external to the state, such as counties, higher education and municipalities can also add their data to the repository. The system supports services connected to the centralized repository which can be added to maps, used within applications and utilized in ArcGIS Online Web Maps. The automated replication processes ensure that the data in the services are the most current data available.
What data are available?
All data in FirstMap are provided and updated by the authoritative data source. All core framework (base map) data are currently loaded into FirstMap and the list of other data will continue to grow over time. The list of data includes, but is not limited to:
- All base map data (roads, water, municipalities, boundaries, contours, etc.)
- Agency specific data (environmental, transportation, etc.)
- County data (parcels, roads, addressing, community, etc.)
- Data from Universities and colleges
- Aerial Imagery (current and historic)
Who can use FirstMap?
Anyone can use FirstMap. All users, including the general public, will be able to consume the public map, feature and image services. ArcGIS Online users will be able to utilize data that has been shared with the public. Additional functionality or services are available based on the type of user. Including, but not limited to:
- County and Local Government, and Academic Institutions - disconnected replication of data, dedicated SFTP site for data delivery, hosting for services shared with the State.
- State Organizations - direct connection to the private geodatabase for editing, connection to the private services with additional attributes not available to the public.
- Contractors & Utility Companies - data storage and hosting for services shared with the State.
What are the benefits of FirstMap?
- Users no longer have to call around to find most up-to-date data set
- Alleviates duplicated data storage for all the public datasets
- County and State agencies will no longer have to handle multiple requests for their data
- Data can be consumed in various applications
- Public access and download capability, as deemed appropriate by the Authoritative agency
- Ability to limit and protect access to sensitive data as deemed appropriate